Friday, June 17, 2011

Thoughts that run around in my head....


Knowledge of the world is not a yard stick by which I'd like my children to be measured or assessed....

Geography, history and science are interesting facts to read about, but they don't teach my children where their true identity and purpose lies.

What I do wish for them, or rather hope for them, is that they would have roots which go down deep. That when the stormy times in life come they would know who to lean on, not what to lean on....

And in the good times they'll know who is really worthy of all praise.....

That they will know that when they are thirsty for knowledge there is only one teacher that they need to turn to.

And that He is always willing to quench their thirst.



After a week-end at my first CHE Winter Workshop I'm feeling a little restless again....

Am I really listening to My teacher?

Am I really following His lead?

Routines are easy for me.  Lists to tick off make me feel my work has been done.  But is it really what works for us as a family? Am I doing what works for me....or everyone?

How do we as home school parents break away from the fears? (because if I'm really honest that's what they are)  The what if's?  The comparisons?

Why is it so difficult for me to feel ok when I'm feeling different from the norm?

I don't have the answers....yet....but I do know that I believe in a God who asks me to not be like those of this world....

And when I'm sitting with my children doing our devotions book and we read:   "Learn from me" Matthew 11:29, I'm reminded again of the one thing He has said for me to do....follow Him and He will show me what we need to learn.

Because for us, this home school thing isn't about what I teach my children but rather it is about how we learn together, our relationships.  It isn't about knowing all the facts but rather it is about learning to be in relationship with the One who caused all those facts to be put into place in the first place.






3 comments:

  1. That is well spoken!! Many days in our home I had plans for a "great school day" but when we sit and open the Bible early on in the morning we get so excited with the Word of God and His revelations that I end up doing almost just that!
    What could be more important! He will guide them and make a path for them and keep them safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely - wonderful thoughts we all need (and I seem to need over and over!) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are on the right path..you have expressed in words...what i so often feel...

    ReplyDelete

thanks :-)